groundcovers under hostas?

In a message dated 9/8/00 10:16:55 AM Central Daylight Time, Gailjo3@aol.com

<<  To fill in the bare spots, I've planted some low ground
 covers that will remain and grow well beneath the hostas. I've used
 lamium, woodruff, ivy, ajuga, 'Running Tapestry' tiarella, etc.  >>

Hi Gail,
Where do you live?  Do you see any lack of vigor in your hostas that are
underplanted with the woodruff?  Is that the Gallium oderatum?  My sweet
woodruff is soooo vigorous, that I've worried about it choking out small
shrubs!  I also have some pachysandra , lamiums, ajugas and vinca minor under
my hostas.  I've asked for advice on groundcovers in the past, since I'm
fairly new to using them under hostas.  I have a little more experience using
them now, but so far, I've just been pulling them out when they get too close
to the hosta crowns (a totally emotional judgement on my part!)  I recently
bought some Lysimachia nummalaria 'Aurea' after Clyde said how nice it was
under his hostas.  Does anyone recommend NOT using groundcovers under hostas?
 I am talking about hostas that are at least small to medium and larger here.
 Are there any groundcovers that are safe around dwarf hostas?  say creeping
veronica (Veronica repens??)

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a