Ornamental Grasses

I apologize for bring this topic in front of a group of Hosta people, but
you are the most knowledgeable plant people I know.  The trade-off between
gaining a few nuggets of knowledge and being vituperously excoriated is
worth the risk.

I have heard that one should not plant ornamental grasses after August 1
(zone 5).

1)	Why would/could that be true?
2)	What should be done to decrease the risk of planting later?

Going back to Hosta, I plant ornamental grasses to shade my funkia!

Floyd Rogers