Re: Ornamental Grasses

In a message dated 09/09/2000 8:27:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
rogers4@ix.netcom.com writes:

 I have heard that one should not plant ornamental grasses after August 1
 (zone 5).
 1) Why would/could that be true?
 2) What should be done to decrease the risk of planting later?

If it's growing in a pot- I see no problems planting now-Most grasses are
warm season plants-they grow when the temps are high and not so much when it
is cool out.  This might cause the plant to work it's self out of the ground
in the winter if they are planted bare root very late in the season.

I have had no problems planting out my grasses in the fall as long as they
were well rooted in their pots, I just cover them a little deep with more
soil if they are spreaders or provide them with a light covering if they are

Voles love grasses so do your best to keep them away.