Re: Ornamental Grasses-spreaders/clumpers/shade

In a message dated 9/9/00 10:21:27 PM Central Daylight Time, Meum71@aol.com
writes:

<< I have had no problems planting out my grasses in the fall as long as they
 were well rooted in their pots, I just cover them a little deep with more
 soil if they are spreaders or provide them with a light covering if they are
 clumpers. >>

Paul, that's interesting.  What is it about spreading roots that they can
take the deeper soil, but the clumpers can't?
Thanks,
Cindy
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a

p.s.  At Green Value Nursery where I used to work, they planted the giant
Miscanthus floridulus as shade for their hostas!  One of the pix in the Shady
Oaks 2000 catalog (pp91)is taken from this area at Green Value.  It's the top
left hand pic with the bench in it.