more virus info

Hello folks,
I just got this feedback from my friend Debbie Nelsen that I wanted to pass
along for those following the discussion on viruses.
Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a

"Dr. L mentioned the buckthorn connection to me too, but didn't  really throw
out the red flag about it.  I'm starting to get a little more reassured
about this, it isn't a wildfire kind of epidemic that wipes out entire city
blocks overnite.  Dr. L said a lot of things in the two times I went there;
two things he said : viral infections are most evident in the spring, i.e.
yellow mottling, spots , and krinkling; and the way that  some  things get
spread is because most propagation is done in the fall.  Not all of what he
says pertains exclusively to hostas; in fact , he is the first to admit an
unfamilarity with the names, etc.  I guess he's a patholigist not a
gardener.  Part of that reassurance I mentioned came from talking to Bonnie
Blanchette (she said she has a degree in plant pathology and still gets lost
sometimes talking to Dr. L).  She said if you question a plant, take it in
for testing (we are lucky to be so close) and that  the Xvirus is actually
less worrisome than the tobravirus.  Also in the next MHS newsletter there
will be a list of hostas that are immune to the virus, as well as a list of
those that are susceptible.  With so many choices(what was that last
count?), I'm thinking go with with the healthy ones. "