From: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com
[mailto:owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of zonneveld
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 5:05 AM
To: zonneveld@RULBIM.Leidenuniv.nl
Cc: hosta-open@mallorn.com
Subject: Re: new flower scapes are there!

As I cannot imaging that nobody finds this interesting I sending it

Last year I reported finding a flowerscape in a bud of Elegans in
december. I just did cut up a bud of elegans after first removing the
leaves+ petioles from the bud  I did take a non flowering/podbearing
shoot. First here was besides the main thick  3cm long bud a
small 1cm bud Cutting in half the fat bud I found the flowerstalk
meristem already developing! It has a size of 2 x 1 mm  ( you need
a microscope to see it!) It  was surrounded by thin greenish-white
leaves The bud scales made up 90 % of the bud so everything is
very well protected.  If the scapes are already there you can next
spring fertilize every day, but only those scapes allready formed
this summer will develop into flowers next year!
Yet I suppose only a few of the scapes get a full development next
year  , but by transplanting or cutting up you might induce flowers
in shoots were the young scape has not started to develop yet.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands