Re: Customer complaints

Customers can be a royal pain in the ass.  Any of yours you wish to send my way would be appreciated.

Floyd Rogers
Butterfield Gardens & Hosta Maņana

At 02:51 PM 9/15/00 -0400, you wrote:
My handlers would not allow me to respond to this complaint because they knew I would spend two days at the keyboard thinking of clever ways to let this person know that I think she is an idiot without actually telling her so.  I just had to share it with someone.

She wrote:
I just received my order and am very disappointed.   You should be ashamed to
sell such unattractive plants.

I was out of town when UPS attempted to deliver the package and after several
days the UPS guy asked a neighbor to accept the package for me.  It was
several more days before I returnedhome and received it. When I looked in the
box, the plants were wilted but, more importantly, they were of poor quality.

Two plants had thick stems and very few leaves.  They looked as though they
had robbed of all growth and were headed for the trash.  Somehow they ended
up with my order.  The other plant is so wilted and limp that water does not
seem to help.

I expected healthy coleus plants to be delivered in the spring because
they're annuals.  I want to return them.  How do I go about doing that?

Now, we sell a lot of coleus on our Crownsville Nursery site and it is not at all unusual for people to order them now to use as house plants or as propagating stock for next spring's bedding.   Because "they're annuals" (which they are not) this lady expected us to know that she was placing an order for delivery 7 months from now, even though she didn't bother to mention it and our acknowledgment told her we would ship the following week.  She also failed to see any correlation between the appearance of the plants and the fact that they were in a closed box for almost two weeks. All she knew was that it was our fault and we should be ashamed.

And someone once told me the customer is always right.

Here's the real story.  It is a known fact that roughly 2% of the world's population doesn't have the sense God gave a goose, and it is a statistical certainty that any time things have been going along nice and smooth for about a week, one of those people is going to contact me.

Chick