Re: Moving hostas...and a little about my gardening madness

 you wrote:
>>How about sharing with us the state of your gardening madness?
>>We won't tell anyone.
>>Dan Nelson
>>Bridgeville DE
>>Zone 7 (frost free from 4/20 to 10/20)
Well, Dan..looks like nobody is going to admit to madness (Narda, where are

I'm too new to hostas to have any stories about hosta madness (other than
the depleted checkbook each spring), but I do have a few hibiscus stories
to demonstrate my potential as a hosta Madwoman.

Story #1: A few years back I began hybridizing tropical hibiscus. Hibiscus
rosa-sinensis is very uptight when it come to sex..Requires temps of 60-80
deg, 60% plus humidity, absolutely fresh pollen and a stigma pad that is
only receptive for an hour or so. So timing is everything..Hibiscus blooms
are usually at their peak for crossing at about 10 in the morning, varying
with environmental conditions, of course. Unfortunately, I am usually
sitting happily (?) at my desk at work by that time. After a lot of missed
opportunities in the beginning, I started taking my prospective pod parent
to work with me, where I could provide her with proper temps, soft music
and the occasional glass of wine. The pollen donor could be picked before
opening, carried into work along with the female, where with a little help
he could be persuaded to open his pollen sacs at the moment the female was
ready. My co-workers thought I was way over the edge, and of course I got a
lot of razzing about pimping and sex at the office,  but I did get seed!

Story no. 2:  Every January I spend two weeks on Hilton Head Island. Last
January I had some precious hibiscus seed germinate about two weeks before
the trip. They are very sensitive to watering when they are young, and damp
off or dry up at the blink of an eye, so I was nervous about leaving them
with my botanically challenged plant waterer (husband). The solution was
obvious! Take the little guys on vacation! So twelve little pots of
hibiscus seedlings made the trek to Hilton Head with me, sitting happily on
the dashboard for two days, then basking in the island sun til it was time
to come home. They all made it, and in another 6 mo or so, will reward me
with potentially prizewinning blooms. Or else end up on the compost heap.

Story no.3: This June I paid $23.00 to overnight a box by FedEx containing
10 hibiscus blooms to be entered in the American Hibiscus Society's
Member-at-Large show in Florida. I came in second.

Do I qualify as a mad person?