Re: Moving hostas...and a little about my gardening madness

Requires temps of 60-80
deg, 60% plus humidity, absolutely fresh pollen and a stigma pad that is
only receptive for an hour or so. So timing is everything..Hibiscus blooms
are usually at their peak for crossing at about 10 in the morning, varying
with environmental conditions, of course. Unfortunately, I am usually
sitting happily (?) at my desk at work by that time.

This is great information!  Are there any hosta hybridizers out there that
can come up with specifics on hostas? and hybridizing parameters, ex:  time
of day, temp, humidity?

As far as madness goes,  during hybridizing season here in Peoria, my
madness is simply not reporting to work until I get everyone pollinated.
Sometimes it nearly drives me mad as the cell phone rings (neighbors tell me
they hear the phone, I'm still in PJ's, hair uncombed, hoping they don't see
me) and I'm in the middle of putting pollen on a prized breeders taking
information from customers about leaking faucets and toilets (at that
moment, as if I care).  Then, rushing like mad trying to make up for lost
time in the garden after getting to the office.

I'm sure there are more but right now, I must get to the office, get my work
done, drive 2 hours to a speaking commitment, get back home to local
meeting, arrange evening meal, etc..  I'm simply mad about gardening,
hostas, hybridizing, and other gardening hobbies.  Me mad, but sometimes I
have doubts!!

Best Regards, Beth