Re: most valuable purchase

OK, I'm sure that everyone wants a picture of you in your spotlight with scissors in hand, after dark looking, endlessly , for the elusive slug.   What a great shot that must be. CHAR

Kris Groberg wrote:

 LakesideRM@aol.com wrote:
Like most gardeners each year I add to my gardening equipment.

Lets hear about other treasured acquisitions.

I love gadgets, especially effective tools. This year I found Radio Shack's electrician's headlight ($6.95), which is just perfect for my after-dark seek-and-destroy slug hunts. I water at dusk, then after dark put on my headlight, take up my scissors, and go forth to slay the beast. The light frees me hands--I can even have a scissor in each hand! I cut in half every slug I see. I've been doing this for four summers, and every year I find fewer and fewer slugs. It takes me about a half an hour to check all my beds. Slugs are nearly all water, and the corpses are gone by morning. This method eliminates the waste of salt, beer, ammonia, and poisons.

Someone told me about Sears' Craftsmen pinlight glasses--used for the same purpose.

The second thing I found this year is a little Japanese hoe from Smith & Hawkin. It slices off weeds right below the surface of the soil and keeps my beds looking great. It must be ergonomic because I don't have a sore arm afterward like I do when pulling weeds.

Third, I bought a small chipper-shredder that cleanly and quietly takes care of all my yard waste and makes composting a real cinch. I am deeply in love with this machine. It's a Troy.

Finally, inspired by the Troy shredder, I bought their littlest rototiller, which is manageable and efficient.

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.

"Rise up, and continue . . ."