about my gardening madness

I'm a little behind in reading emails so I hope you don't mind the delayed
response on this one. Having spent the majority of the last year out of the
country, my madness comes from reclaiming my garden. I was laughing at
pictures Doug sent where he asked how many Hostas were in the pix. I somehow
thought he'd secretly come to my garden and photographed some of my beds.

Dan, I can relate to moving Hostas, that's what I seem to have been doing
all week, while dodging thunderstorms. Today looks like it's going to be a
good day to get out and finish planting all the Hostas that are sitting in
my sink, but I need to go buy one more strawberry pot first.

All things considered, my garden isn't doing too bad, considering my neglect
and the drought this year. I had quite a few casualties, but the good thing
about Hosta madness is that I look at it as an opportunity to plant
something new in the vacated spot. Some dead ones will be replaced, other
not. (who am I kidding? LOL!)

I've already started thinking about moving plants to the lake. Imagine
having two gardens to play in? Is that madness, or what? Some of my plants
are just now getting to the point where I can split them and I think to
myself, one for here, one for sharing, one for Pixie Forest. :-)

It's an exciting time to be a Hosta grower. Fall is nearing (here in the
south) and all the rain is causing many plants to put out a new flush of
growth. I'm trying to saturate myself with it all so I'll have enough stored
up to get me through the winter. And although I said NO MORE this year, I
keep combing the catalogs, ebay, library auction, etc! Next week is our
Dixie Regional meeting and I can't wait for the auction! I had a blast last
year.

As most of you know, my madness shows itself when someone puts a Hosta up
for sale. Somehow I just don't feel right if my 'want' list is shorter than
my 'have' list. However with friends like Bob, Tim, Doug, Gary, Carol, Bevie
and the rest of you, sending awesome pictures, I'm beginning to feel better
that this will never happen. It appears that everytime I scratch one off my
want list, I add six or seven. I can rest easily now at night knowing that
there are plenty of Hostas out there to keep my want list nice and long!

As if all this wasn't enough to prove my madness, I spend hours upon hours
at this silly computer, making lists, surfing Hosta sites, updating data,
reading Zilis' book, checking my Hosta Library CD, checking for email news
from you guys, and of course, buying that last one!

Better get out there, I feel my saturation diminishing....

Lu  (Atlanta, Zone 7B) (Formally from Guatemala, LOL!)