Re: Amime Tachi Giboshi

Beth Arnold wrote:

> Carol Brashear,  I was looking in the library and ran across this name and
> that you took the picture, H. 'Amime Tachi Giboshi'.

Beth, Carol and othes interested,

I have the subject hosta in my collection and wrote the following about it
perhaps  five years go.

Hosta rectifolia 'Amime' (syn.Amime Tachi Giboshi) by Jim Hawes Oakland Md
Every Hosta has a story.Let me tell readers an interesting short story about a
unique hosta that I recently acquired from a friend in Japan. It is unique not
only because it sold at the hosta auction in Portland Oregon for 1550 dollars
or because it has dramatic, colorful yellow veins or because it may be
infected with virus "x", but because ( in spite of the third "because") a host
of hosta collectors want it anyway. There is a rumor that it may be placed in
tissue culture soon. Could it be that certain hosta promoters also believe it
to be unique and desireable in spite of its shortcomings?

H. 'Amime' was found at the foot of Mt. Iwaki in Aomori Prefecture in Japan
about 14 years ago.It is known and grown by several Japanese Hosta growers. It
sells for about 3000 yen(30 dollars). There is no knowledge  in Japan of it
being infected with virus or of potential danger of transmission of virus to
other hostas.

The plant was given to me as a gift. Since receiving it I have kept this plant
isolated in a sort of informal quarantine area to observe its growth
characteristics.After a perod of dormancy in a cold greenhouse I broughjt it
indoors on Christmas Day to warmth, moisture and a long photoperiod. It
sprouted and produced three shoots. By January it was six inches tall with
three leaves unfurling on the longest shoot. Its characteristic yellow veins
brilliantly separate the dark green interveinal tissue on its leaves. It
appears to be very vigorous. I see no symptoms of virus such as green-yellow
spots, leaf dessication or yellow spotted mosaic patterns. I love the plant. I
plan to plant it in a distant, isolated spot in my garden in the spring.,
accompanied by several  other hostas that are inexpensive and expendable. The
purpose is to observe H 'Amime' and its companion plants to see if any virus
symptoms appear on the plants over a reasonable period of time. I will let you
know how these plants fare via later comments.

Jim Hawes