Specie and or species.

  • Subject: Specie and or species.
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:35:22 EDT

Fellow hostaholics:

The attached letter is from Davis Teager.  I thought everyone might we
interested in its contents.

Lemke's Data Base
                                                                         You
don't know me, and I don't know you, but I came across your stuff at

hosta library and hosta open (archives, haven't signed up yet). I hang out

at GW (alias DrTigger/Tigger), if you're there as well. I've noted your pdf

files showing up on the hosta library, and applaud your efforts to catalog

our favorite genus.

Anyway (following along on the "misspellings" thread), I hope I can gently

point out a pet peeve of mine:

While "specie" is a real word (and thereby missed by spell-checkers), it

means "coin" and has nothing to do with biological taxonomy. "Species" is

one of those words that is both singular and plural while ending with an

"s". (like scissors and pants)

Thanks for indulging me. For someone making such a tremendous effort to

dispense the correct information, I thought you might want to rectify this

one detail.

Sincerely,

David Teager

Rec