Re: different hostas

  • Subject: Re: different hostas
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 18:35:28 -0400

Well, there was a variety of sizes involved, from both, although on average, the plants from one nursery did seem larger on arrival.

How healthy, in what way?

This was more of a concrete and obvious sign of what I've seen, in general, though; plants from some sources always do well, and others languish or grow slowly, regardless of cultivar, size of plant received, appearance of health on arrival etc.

Hasn't anybody noticed that, in general, plants from certain nurseries take off like gangbusters once planted, and others don't? For example, with a very few exceptions, plants from Naylor Creek always do really well for me. Also, plants I've gotten from Northern Grown Perennials. Of course, there is variation by cultivar; some plants grow faster.

I was wondering if it had something to do with what the nurseries do (or don't do) to their plants prior to shipping, or whether it had to do with growing conditions, plants not responding well to a sudden change in growing medium or soil ph, or something like that.

-Alttara

SECK138@aol.com wrote:

If you had ordered the same hostas from different nurseries I would jump on
it and want to know which nurseries.   However,  different hostas is too
tricky.  Maturity of plants does make a difference.  How healthy the plants
are  makes a difference. Did you get multi-division plants versus single
division plants?   But mainly some hostas just do better than others and it
depends on where they are grown.  Chris from Braintree, MA