Re: What makes the difference?

  • Subject: Re: What makes the difference?
  • From: SECK138@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:36:18 EDT

Let us not forget soil preparation. When ever I hear of a dismal gardener, I
always ask how much time did you put into soil preparation.  Most times you
will hear that they got a gorgeous plant and just planted it.  My grandmother
always said that it is better to buy a 10 cent plant and put it in a $20 hole
then buy a $20 plant and put it in a 10 cent hole.   Hostas are pretty hardy
but when first planted they still like a good home.  Watering new plants
every day until they get a little established is a good idea.  I like soil
with a ton of peat moss and cow manure that has been mixed in really well.  I
have also heard that spreading the roots out  helps and that you should
unsnarl the roots if necessary.  They might heave in the winter if the roots
are not spread out.  So I always do this. Do not plant hostas too deep.   I
have gotten small TC plugs and have had great success with them.  What do you
do to keep your hostas happy.   Would love to hear some feed back from
others.  Chris from Braintree, MA