Re: soil mixing

Chick, could it be that the roots of potted plants are immature and as they
grow they strengthen, becoming more able to push through the soils in our
gardens?  But plants that are b&b have more mature roots and are as strong
as they will get and if the soil is amended the roots will stay in it, sort
of like the point of least resistance?
Sam I Am