worms, geese and mink

  • Subject: worms, geese and mink
  • From: "bykands" <bykands@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:13:22 -0500

Hi All,

Today we were outside working when a man from the University of
Minnesota stopped and asked us if he could go down by the lake and
examine our earthworms.  He said they have been tracking a certain
type of earthworm starting from 120 miles north of us (we are just a
few miles north of St. Paul) that geese eat and when they do their
"do" the mink eat it get sick and die.  This started when they noticed
a large number of mink dead.  They are trying to find out how wide
spread these worms are and why this is happening now.  He said we
don't have that kind of worm because we have a different type of
habitat then they have been found in.  Paul they should be down by
your place soon.  I wonder what we have done now to cause this.  A few
years ago they found deformed frogs in Minnesota and until this year
when that was cut from the budget they were doing a study on the
frogs.  I wonder why one study made it and the other one didn't.
Until last year our little island and lakeshore was covered with
Purple Loose-leaf Strife and they released the little beetle that only
eats PLS.  This year we didn't have any PLS....I hope they are right
and the beetle dies when it's favorite meal is gone so it doesn't
start eating hostas.

We were happy to find out that we don't have this kind of worm for our
geese to eat.  I think about the flies and other things that land on
the remains and then land on our pets and us.

It's a scary world we live in,
Sue

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity.
- Joseph Addison (1672-1719)

Ken and Sue Dutton
Little Canada, Minnesota
651-483-4655  zone 4 ab