Re: soil mixing

Bill, I beg to differ on when to transplant/plant: with 40+ years experience,
the cooler spring temperatures or early fall allow the roots to get
acclimated faster. Less heat/moisture stress.

Bob Solberg's comments may be applicable in the South but northern gardeners
have a much different set of  cultural practices. The belief that the roots
start to grow at +50 degrees F is sound - I like to have the transplant shock
out of the way - the plants will definitely grow stronger and faster.
bruce