Re: 85 of Alex Malloy's intros and NRs

bob wrote:

>  If someone were to take a tray of seeds and names everything that
> comes up according to you there is no problem since there are no
> standards.

I think you might be putting words in my mouth.  First of all, I don't make the
rules, I was just trying to explain the policy as I understand it.

If someone were to take a tray of seeds and name everything that comes up, what
exactly is the problem?  Now don't come back at me and say I believe in naming
every seedling, I'm just saying, who cares?  As I said earlier, certainly you can
take naming to absurd extremes,  which I think you've done in your example, but we
don't normally base policies on absurd extremes.  If you want standards, give me a
few examples of how you would formulate them and explain what the enforcement
mechanisms would be.

The purpose of registration is to eliminate the need for people on this forum to
constantly ask, "Does anybody know anything about such and such a hosta?"  If I
take a tray of a thousand hostas and get my jollys by putting a name on every
single one of them, I haven't hurt or accomplished a thing.  But if I grow one of
them on for a while and divide it and send you half, then, in theory, I should
name it and register it.  That way, when you grow your half for a few years and
then give some to someone else, that person doesn't have to ask the people on this
forum if they know anything about the hosta that Bob just gave them.  I think,
again in theory, that there is no reason to register a hosta unless more than one
person has it.

I'm not a purist on registration, I think my track record proves that, since most
of my hostas are unregistered.  If you'll remember I was also one of the loudest
voices against the current registrar's ill conceived program to banish
unregistered hostas to the trash heap of hosta history. If people don't want to
register the hostas they introduce to other hosta growers, I don't really much
care.  Since I publish a catalog that widely distributes a significant amount of
information about my plants, I don't feel any great urgency to register them.  But
I do plan to register all my plants, when I get around to it.   In general, I
think it is better to have a record of as many of the hostas in circulation as we
can, than to have a lot of plants circulating that nobody knows anything about.
If we happen to accumulate a lot of registrations for un-noteworthy plants that
nobody grows, what difference does it make?  It's not like people sit around and
read the registrations.  Well, OK, so some of you do, but you folks are beyond
help.   I have a number of hostas here that I have accumulated over the years from
one source or another that I have never offered for sale because I don't know
anything about them except their name.  If whoever had put them out had registered
them, I might have some idea of what they are and where they came from.

Chick