Re: price-gouging

  • Subject: Re: price-gouging
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:29:02 -0400

Hi Bob,
     Regulation isn't always a good thing or a bad one. We can probably all
think of some government regulation we can do without. On the other hand,
remember what happened when Reagan took the regulations off the savings and
loans? I guess we have to admit we need some of it.
     In this case the "victims" of it deserve all they get. To have
civilization we have to control the predators, and that includes the
financial and business ones along with the muggers and thieves. They are the
same thing in better clothes.
     It sounds like the owner of that store is really sticking it to his
customers because they can't go anywhere else and he knows it. To me he's
not much different from a kid that would snatch a purse, he just bleeds them
dry a little slower, instead of all at once.
     There is a line somewhere between gouging and making an honest living.
I guess it can be tough to pinpoint sometimes, but $6.75 a gallon for gas
during a national emergency is clearly on the gouging side. If it weren't
illegal, how many more would have done it?