Re: Big solar flare tomorrow

  • Subject: Re: Big solar flare tomorrow
  • From: Kris Groberg <kgroberg@fargocity.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:09:16 -0500

bob wrote:

> Big solar flare tomorrow with possible power interruptions. Also a
> chance to see a solar flare tomorrow night.

Hi, Bob: Last night by coincidental chance, I was speaking with Mary
Zirin, a friend and colleague of mine. Her husband is Hal Zirin, the
Caltech physicist who runs the solar observatory at big Bear. Hal says
the flare with be spectacular--but that it will not affect power sources
here and likely will not be seen by the naked eye (don't try to look at
the sun). It may manifest itself in some other phenomenon, mostly
weather-related, but I couldn't even understand Hal's explanation.
Anyway, don't worry about the power. Kris

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.
office phone: 218-299-5511
home phone: 701-293-9040
cell phone: 701-361-2773