Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400

I think that the reason might be that if the Journal editor published these articles, he would be publicly stoned at the next convention.

The vast majority of the members of the AHS are not scientists, or even casual breeders, and the Journal has to reflect the interests of it's membership. The AHS doesn't pretend to be a scientific society. When the Journal was publishing scientific articles, they often included page after page of charts, tables, and references, that not one out of 100 readers cared about.  It was a waste of scarce Journal space.

The Hosta Journal has articles on hybridizing, but I don't think it's the place for the kind of information published in HostaScience.  The spring Journal had about 80 pages, and the scientific articles in HostaScience look to be 10 to 20 pages long each, with titles like "Cytokinin-induced Propagaton: from Kinetin to Tbidiazuron. Review and Prospectus" (16 pages).  Some of us might be interested. but I doubt that too many members would like to see this kind of information in the Journal.

Frankly, it seems to me that the web is the logical place to publish such information. It's cheap, easy, accessible to anyone interested, and doesn't require the Journal to spend scarce resources, paid for by all, on information interesting to only a very few.

Chick

halinar@open.org wrote:
200209020432.VAA26594@opengovt.open.org">
This is a silly question and I know you don't have the answer, but I
will ask it anyway. Why does a HortaScience Journal need to publish
information/articles about hosta hybridizing? Isn't this something
that the Hosta Journal should be doing!?

What amazes me is that it really doesn't make any difference what
genera we are talking about, the journal of the main society of that
group rarely discusses hybridizing of that genera in any detail. The
Daylily Journal sucks when it comes to articles about hybridizing
daylilies, the Iris Society Journal doesn't have much information
about Iris hybridizing and the North American Lily Society Bulletin
doesn't have much information about hybridizing lilies. It seems that
plant societies are more interested in promoting themselves then in
promoting the plant they represent.

I haven't yet been inspired to join the Hosta Society, and the fact
that a nother group has to publish a journal about hosta hybridizing
only reinforces my reluctance to join the Hosta Society.

Joe Halinar