Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400

  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

John:

Thanks for the clarification, but I don't think it has too much effect
on the basic premise of the question I asked.  The North American Lily
Society has had a situtation not unlike what is occuring in the hosta
society.  There is a very strong interest in the species lilies, but
the NALS completely failed to address this interest.  As a result a
new and seperate group formed and it increases in membership, despite
some of it's own problems, while NALS membership falls.  There is
absolutely no reason why the information published in the species
group newsletter can't be published in the NALS publications.  By the
way things are going it's not unreasonable that someday in the future
that the species group may eclipse the original, main society.  It
seems to me that the hosta society is being rather narrow minded in
not addressing a major interest of a significent number of its
members.

>I'll again rely on what Ed Elslager wrote in his introduction to
>HostaScience:

>"You may be aware that recent changes in scientific policy in The
>Hosta Journal preclude the future publication of original scientific
>articles such as those published recently on hormone-induced
>propagation, Hosta College student research, and hybridization.

Now, how many potential new members are going to be inspired to join
the society, or maintain a membership if the only thing that is going
to be published is socially related material such as garden visits.

>"The specific aims of the journal HostaScience are:
>To provide rapid communication of important, relevant, and timely
>science-related information on hosta biology, biochemistry,
>cultivation, hybridization, and propagation to home gardeners,
>hybridizers, students, growers, nurserymen, and scientists;

Can't that be part of the Hosta Journal?  If there is enough interest
in this type of material that a seperate and independent journal can
be published and maintain a decent membership base, isn't the hosta
society failing its membership base by not offering this type of
information?  The fact that the interest is there seems to be self
evident to me.

>To promote collaboration and the interchange of ideas and information
>among these investigators;

Sounds like the Hosta Journal could be the perfect venue for this
function.

>To stimulate experimentation and research by amateur and professional
>hosta devotees alike;

And what better place to publish articles about such reasearch then in
the Hosta Journal.  I realize the Hosta Journal may not want to
publish high end scientific research that is directed to the academic
and research community, but there is a LOT of hosta related material
of a scientific nature that is not high science that would be welcomed
by a significent number of Journal readers.

>To encourage, assist, and facilitate publication of the results of
>these studies;

Isn't part of the reason for the existance of the Hosta Society is
that it is suppose to promote the genus Hosta.  What better way then
to actually publish articles about hostas.

>Therefore, it would be incorrect to characterize the journal
>HostaScience as a publication dedicated to hosta hybridization; that
>is just one of many topics to be covered.

In effect, isn't the HostaScience journal and the hybridizers group
competing with the Hosta Society if hosta hybridizing is only one of
many topics to be covered.  How many different hosta groups do I have
to join to get all the information that could easily be published in
one journal?

I guess my basic question is why is the Hosta Society shooting it self
in the foot and then aiming the gun to it's head with an almost full
chamber?

BTW, are you related to any Christensen's from Long Island, NY.

Joe Halinar