Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400

I know we're beating another horse to death here, but you guys that aren't interested can always delete.  It's hard for me to stop when I disagree with just about everything Joe says.

At least it's not porn spam.  Hmmmm, I wonder if Hormel has considered the possibilities of porn spam.

halinar@open.org wrote:
It seems to
me that the hosta society isn't filling the needs of its members if
its members have to go elsewere to get the information it wants.
I don't see that as a problem at all.  I write tons of drivel on my web site, and I'm planning to write a lot more this fall and winter.  It's focused primarily to the novice, which is about all I'm qualified to write for, and although it's about growing and selecting hostas to grow, neither my writing style nor the information is appropriate for the Journal.  Do you really think that just because my information is about hostas that I have the right to insist that the Journal publish it without modification?  I think the information Ed is developing should be printed in the Journal, but if he doesn't want to modify his writing to suit the needs of the Journal's readers, he should publish it himself.  There's nothing wrong with that.  It's what I'm doing and I don't see where it hurts me or the Journal or the Society.  The AHS can't be all things to everyone.
Persoanlly, I really don't care that much one way or the other.  I'm
still looking for a reason to join the hosta society. I'm not much
interested in the social aspects of the society. I find host-open to
be much more interesting then reading the journal.
That's fine too.  But don't expect the AHS to change to meet your needs.
   The problem I see with the hosta society is that
it is going through some growing pains as it matures with some
personality clashes as one of the catalysts for these problems. The
hosta society has some great potential for growth since hostas are
quite popular.
I don't deny that the AHS has personality problems, I happen to be one of them.  I just don't see that they can be solved by trying to cater to every individual's demands.  The members are a diverse group and if we want all of them to remain members, we may have to make some compromises.

The question is how long can one person single-handedly carry on such
a journal of fairly technical material.
I don't see that as being the AHS's problem either.  If Ed feels that his way is the only way to get the information out, then it's up to him to find a way to do it.  One way or the other, Ed has to write the material.  If publishing it becomes too much of a burden, it can be put on the web at virtually no cost and with very little effort.  There are several sites that would probably provide the space if he can't do it himself, but just as in the Journal, he can't publish anything he wants to unless he controls the medium.
I agree that scientific and technical articles in the Hosta Journal
need to be written in a more informal, summary style then if they were
being published in a peer reveiwed scientific journal. It takes a
little effort to write such articles, but not impossible. I think Ed
is being somewhat unreasonable if he wants them printed exactly like
he send them. It seems to me that the Hosta Society loses something
when information like this can't be published in the journal
regardless of the specific reason.
Then I don't see why you are arguing his position.  If Ed insists that the articles be published as is, and you think that is "somewhat unreasonable", why are you blaming the AHS?  Why are we having this conversation?  I'm going to go make me a Porn Spam sandwich.