Re: List of Species , specoids an Botanical varieties.

  • Subject: Re: List of Species , specoids an Botanical varieties.
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:00:19 -0400

Hi All,
    I hope the following adds to Lemke's posting: It always has been and
still is my humble opinion that any taxon that has been validly published
and described in the botanical literature does not need registration per the
International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants (ICNCP). The ICNCP
does not concern itself with species and subspecific units) (taxa) but is
applicable only to cultivated plants (culta) while, on the other hand, the
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (ICBN) is the applicable code
for botanical taxa.

    Keeping this in mind, the 1993 List of Species, Botanical Varieties and
Forms and Specioids (which was compiled by me for the AHS) includes taxa
that are still considered valid species, subspecies, botanical varieties and
forms as of this date. These taxa do not need to be included in the
Registration Lists, because they are not cultivars but taxa. Having been
validly published and described, they are considered the same as registered.
The 1993 List of Species, Botanical Varieties and Forms and Specioids also
includes former taxa that have been reclassified and reduced in rank to
cultivar status. The latter are now considered culta and are governed not by
the ICBN but by the ICNCP. This is why Jim Wilkins, the Hosta Registrar, has
accepted the registration of H. 'Crispula' (a former taxon, now a culton).
Strictly speaking, this registration simply transferred the original species
description from the botanical literature into the list of registered
cultivars. Any and all of these former taxa that have been reduced to
cultivar rank by me in 1991 can now be included in the ICNCP but the fact
that they are not as yet included does not mean that they are not
registered. By virtue of their previous valid description as a taxon, they
are considered registered upon transfer as a cultivar to the ICNCP.

    For those who lost me somewhere during this legalistic taxonomic
discourse here is a summary: All currently accepted species, subspecies,
botanical varieties and forms and all former species, subspecies, botanical
varieties and forms that have been reduced to cultivar rank are to be
considered as registered and so are included in the AHS Show Classification
Lists. Thus, the classification (of these taxa and former taxa) in Lemke's
Master List is correct.

    There may be some disputes but these have to be sorted out in the
scientific literature first. All of the taxa in the 1993 list have been
accepted and listed in the Kew Index, the official international index of
published taxa. Only after review and verification and scientific acceptance
can disputes (what is and what is not a species) be filtered into
horticultural literature and that may take some time. For right now, the
1993 list is it.

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker GA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL