Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #400

I hope that you, Ed, and everyone else reading my posts on the subject don't think that I am criticising Ed or his work. I don't know Ed, and have had nothing to do with his dealings with the Board. I have nothing but respect for his work. I used one of his articles as an example, but my comments would apply to any material published in the AHS Journal that used a significant amount of scarce space to publish information that, in my opinion, very few of the members were interested in. I'm not speaking of the articles, just the charts and references accompanying the article that I don't think were useful to the people who read the publication. I don't know why Ed doesn't want his articles published in a more reader-friendly format, but they are his articles and that's up to him. I just don't see why the AHS is obligated to publish material that it doesn't want to publish, for whatever reason. That's what an editor and board are for. If the membership disagrees, they can change that.

I hope he doesn't take it personally that I don't think his articles should be published in the Journal unless he is willing to make them more suitable for the readership. It's just my opinion. The AHS is not a scientific organization, the vast majority of its members are not scientists, and the Journal is for the benefit of the membership as a whole, and is paid for by the membership. There are many places to publish scientific papers, the AHS Journal is not one of them.

Chick

Jaspersail@aol.com wrote:

Bill et al,

Knowing that Ed Elslager is not "online," I thought it only fair that I inform him of the current discussion regarding HostaScience. At lunch today, I printed and delivered to Ed the chronological postings of our discussion. Since the archives are available online to the general public, I assumed no one would be upset by this.

Ed may or may not choose to respond via Hosta-Open. If he does, it will likely be posted by me. He may simply contact Bill, or other members of the AHS Board, privately.

He did show me a file containing all correspondence between himself and the AHS Board regarding his articles and the beginnings of HostaScience. After reading this, I think all AHS members who know Ed would be horrified at how he was treated. I hope he will allow this information to be made public.
John Christensen