Re: [hostapix] Re: List of Species , specoids an Botanical varieties.

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Re: List of Species , specoids an Botanical varieties.
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:26:51 -0400

Hi Ran,
You are absolutely right and Jim is (slowly) adding botanical taxa and/or
former taxa to the registration list. The only reason why I think taxa must
be considered as registered right now (even before they can be added to the
Silver books) is that this allows them to be exhibited with the registered
cultivars, i.e., judged in Sections I to VI. They have in fact been
considered as registered since the original silver book. I think it is
imperative that we judge botanical taxa together with the registered
cultivars and NOT with the seedlings and other stuff. In order to permit
that, botanical taxa must be considered as registered and I explained that
in the intro to the original silver book way back when (1993). I think that
the information given for all taxa in Zilis and in my book is just as
concise or even more precise as the resulting registration info would be. I
realize, it may not be as convenient but I labor to put out the
classification list every spring and that list has everything put in its
proper section/class. I can tell you (as a master judge) that the concise
registration info you are talking about is rarely used by the judges and the
classification people. They use the classification list because during the
hectic hours of entering exhibits no one has time to look up things in
detail. I know, because I have been classification chair for numerous shows
as well as a master judge. I don't buy the premise that hybridizers need to
have all that info in one place. The registrars and the people on the
nomenclature and classification committee have worked hard on those
registration documents for many years and they know it takes a lot of work
to come up with all that information. As a member of that group I can tell
you that we are doing that work not to make it easier on any one group but
to provide a basis for those hosta shows all of us love to attend. I am
willing to bet that most if not all serious, dedicated hybridizers
(including you) have every book ever printed on hostas and know their way
around this info.
So, for the time being I believe that we are not in a panic to register
botanical taxa. We have known how to treat them in shows since 1993. When
there is time and volunteer labor available to proceed with that
considerable registration project we will deal with it. There are many other
registration projects out there (like the remainder of the former IACs) to
keep folk busy for some time to come. The registration of botanical taxa is
the least of our worries.
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker GA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL