Garden Quotes

  • Subject: Garden Quotes
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:45:45 -0500

I have been collecting garden quotes from a variety of sources for the past
few years. I swear that some have arisen from people who may have visited
garden in their youth, but never spent a day working in one. The robins are
quiet these days so I will offer up a few for your enjoyment or your
disgust.

The great challenge for the garden designer is not to make the garden look
natural, but to make the garden so that people in it will feel natural.

Lawrence Halprin

A weed is no more than  a flower in disguise, which is seen at through at
once, if love give a man eyes. Euchhhhhh!

James Russell Lowell (American poet ...and a bad one.)

To work in the garden is to be brought into contact with the elements of
botany, geography, ecology, genetics, chemistry and entomology- not to
mention ornithology, bacteriology and meteorology- and interest may develop
in any of these directions.

Alice M. Coats

Originally , the word "weeds" was we'ods, and it was the Anglo-Saxon name
for all herbs and small plants...to past generations of men (and I assume
women too), all plant were regarded with respect.

Audrey Wynne Hatfield

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

A garden is a thing of beauty, and a job forever.

Anonymous

One to rot, and one to grow
One for the pigeon, one for the crow.

Old English planting rhyme

Grass is the forgiveness of nature.

Thomas Carlyle

But a little garden, the littler the better, is your richest chance for
happiness and success.

Reginald Farrer

The best fertilizer for a piece of land is the foot prints of its owner.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Once we become interested in the progress of the plants in our care, their
development becomes a part of the rhythm of our own lives and we are
refreshed by it.

Thalassa Cruso

Gardens cannot be considered in detachment from the people who made them.

Derek Clifford

A killing frost devastates the heart as well as the garden.

Eleanor Perenyl

How can one help shivering with delight when one's hot fingers close around
the stem of live flower, cool from the shade and stiff with new born vigor.

(Boy, oh boy, this one could only have been written by Colette , with help
from the painter Georgia O'keeffe.

The strange thing that I have experienced with flower scents, and indeed
with all other scents, is that they only recall pleasant memories.

Theodore Stephens ( I wonder if he ever caught a whiff of the female Ginkgo
tree...now there is a memory!)

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156