Hot Spots and Fall Slug Control

  • Subject: Hot Spots and Fall Slug Control
  • From: "Margaret Little" margaret@golden.net
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:27:12 -0400

Hi All: I have a concentrated acre of hosta. I usually dont have a serious slug problem until this time of year--either my guard is down or their numbers  become uncontrollable. I do notice that through the year I have what I call "hot-spots" ie: slug damage in one area of plant grouping but nothing even three feet awa ( regardless of the cultivar types in the area) also slug damage in some pots and none in others. Are these" hot spots" common in everyones hosta garden?
Anyway,the purpose of this posting----- These "hot spots", I feel, is where 90% of the slugs and eggs probably will attemt to winter over. Why not make a concentrated effort to apply your favourite slug bait / control method now ,in these hot spots-----you have a captive audiance. In the past I have just accepted the end of the hosta season and the coinciding beginning of next years slug population.
What to use: as the weather gets colder I suspect slugs will not feed as much and slug egg cant eat---this may negate the use of slug bait. Possible slugacides---soil drench sprays of ammonia ,vinegar ,borax. I will use a localized application of cygon in all hot spots.
Does anyone do this---Does it have any validity??
Phil Little   Waterloo Ont.  Zone  5 a/b