Re: Hot Spots and Fall Slug Control

  • Subject: Re: Hot Spots and Fall Slug Control
  • From: "Karen B." abtrlife@earthlink.net
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:02:30 -0400

Margaret Little wrote:
What to use: as the weather gets colder I suspect slugs will not feed as much and slug egg cant eat---this may negate the use of slug bait. Possible slugacides---soil drench sprays of ammonia ,vinegar ,borax. I will use a localized application of cygon in all hot spots.

Hi Phil,

Going by Eleanor Holt's message from Tuesday I would be leary of using the borax. I'm thinking of trying an ammonia solution in the next week or so to see how that works. Next year I'm going to try to remember to use the ammonia solution on a regular basis. It's supposed to work great for those nasty, slimy creatures. One of Van Wade's employees swears by the ammonia solution. It works wonders for her in her garden.

Just a thought from a rookie.

z5a, north central Ohio

P.S. I saw you (and your garden) on The Gardener's Journal last Saturday. You have a BEAUTIFUL garden!!!!!!!  I can only hope to some day have a garden as nice as yours and others I have seen pics of on Hostapix.