Re: Brim Cup and Knockout - bad hostas?

  • Subject: Re: Brim Cup and Knockout - bad hostas?
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:11:38 -0500

>Recently people were writing about there worst hostas.
>
>I am cleaning out my garden and am wondering if these were two that were
>mentioned.  If so, I might dig them out as they do not do so well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom:

Like so many others on the list of notoriously problematic hostas: these
two have been glorious for me some years. But some years they have looked
dreadful. This was not a good year for either.If I could really tell you
why I would. I would like to add  another factor to the list of
charcteristics which can disappoint hostaphyles.

First a rule that I have generally found to be true. The MAJORITY of
hostas, unlike we humans, can looking ravishing in their senile years. What
at 5 or 6 years looks ordinary, can  take the mantle of age and turn it
into a  regal presence. I have always found this a motive for keeping
hostas longer than I should.

The negative aspect to this MAJORITY RULE of  mine, is the existence of a
small minority of hostas that do not age well. They lose character rather
than develope it. They are at their best  during youth or middle age; much
more human than hosta-like.

I am at the point in my hosta gardening (15 years) where I am now digging
mature clumps (with a sigh of relief and a groan from the effort) and
bidding farewell to them. Since most are going to my neighbors, I will
still have visitng rights to them in the "home".

"Depression is just the anger without enthusiasm." Steve Wright
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156