Re: Some unusual hosta questions

  • Subject: Re: Some unusual hosta questions
  • From: earthspirit bdn7458@mailbag.com
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:08:44 -0500

1) How long can a mature, bare root Hosta generally be left in a bucket of
water that is at 70 to 80 degrees temp? What starts to happen to the plant
and at what time? Suffocation, rot, etc? Over how many days. *****You might try putting sand in a Rubbermaid container and soak it. I did that this summer with some hosta that I wanted to hold and they've been in there for three weeks and look great.

3) A woman asked me if there are any Hostas bees do not like - she is highly
allergic. I told her I doubt there are any but thought I would ask as she
loves Hostas but bees are life and death to her. *****I would cut the scapes off as well. I am very allergic to bees too, but bumblebees and honey bees don't go around biting people unless you bump into them or find a hive. It's the yellow jackets/wasps that bite for no reason, and they don't spend as much time around flowers.....they go for veggies and other things that are rotting. Jean Bawden, Madison, Wi

Thanks very much,

Tom Carlson