Re: Foliar nematodes questions

  • Subject: Re: Foliar nematodes questions
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@Bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:30:06 -0400

NO!!! I have fought that pest for 30 years. That's when they came in with
some ferns. This year is terrible in the South due to 60 inches of rain thus
far. The drought of the last four years supressed them but give them rain
and they are everywhere. Some of the larger hostas with very long petioles
(I have some with 36-40 inch petioles) seem to fare better. When I see
infection (usually in July) I mercilessly cut all leaves to the ground and
discard (we have yardwaste pickup) and treat with Terachlor or Peroxide.
Don't let the ;leaves ripen because in late summer the eggs drop to the
ground and reinfect everything. In very early spring or even late winter, I
apply systemic granules (last longer) before the eyes show. That usually
knocks them down. Repeat every 2-3 weeks until the leaves are fully
developed. Then I follow up with systemic foliar spray (Cygon). I do that
only for rare hostas. Any common one that comes down with nematodes gets dug
and thrown out. The hole is disinfected with peroxide or Terrachlor and not
planted in for a year. I found you cannot get rid of them once you have them
because many other perennials are hosts to them, especially some ferns and
who doesn't have ferns? For irreplaceable hostas I pot them, isolate them
(uphill and away from all others) and place them in a saucer that has a
systemic solution in it (I use Cygon). That will rotally eradicate them
within two seasons. Unfortunately that won't work in the ground. Mosquitos
won't breed in that saucer either so you won't have to worry about viruses
that could affect you. Replace the solution as required. HTH, George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL
84-12'-30" West_33-51' North