Crowned Imperial vs Gloriosa?

  • Subject: Crowned Imperial vs Gloriosa?
  • From: "Cindy Johnson" cidjohnson323@comcast.net
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:29:57 -0500

Hi folks,

I've been looking at these two plants in my gardens and reading about them.
Crowned Imperial has only been here a few years and is a good size plant
already.  Gloriosa has been here much longer and I finally dug it up and
replanted it elsewhere because it's been declining from the start.  I know
it's a good grower elsewhere and I've seen huge clumps of it at Funky
Gardens.

They are both supposed to be dark green with narrow white margins.  Can
someone tell me how these two plants differ if they are both growing well?  Is
Crowned Imperial like a large version of Gloriosa?  I'm trying to decide if I
want to use up space on both plants since I still have so many potted hostas
to plant and no more garden space.
Thanks,
Cindy