Sawdust and Fall Beauties

  • Subject: Sawdust and Fall Beauties
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:37:32 -0400

Hello All,

My garden-back gave out about an hour ago so I will send out some e-mail.

My nephew is considering dealing with his large potted hostas differently
this year .He usually puts them in rows and shovels soil up around the
sides so that they are fairly well burried for the winters. No tarps.....
just soil. This year he is considering having several truckloads of sawdust
dumped on some empty land and burying the pots in sawdust for the winter.
Any wisdom or experience out there regarding this technique? thanks.

Beautiful in the fall hosta garden this morning: LS Saphire Pleats ()this
beauty is now in serious competition as my favorite blue textured hosta (in
my top ten of all hostas.... Mary could you breed one with a gold center
now? :-))- truly spectacular, Sparkling Burgandy...... the flowers are just
so gorgeous an they fit the plant, Simply Sharon..... strictly Lane Bryant
garb, but big and beautiful, Stained Glass...although I am not a fan of
leaves that turn down.... and so many more.... happy Labor's Day     glen

"....computed in dinosaur years, that's three days from the brain's death
to its being recognized as dead in the far frontiers of the tail."Albert

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839