Re: Shirofukurin

  • Subject: Re: Shirofukurin
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

Bill's statement below seems the most pertinent point
about names to me. But please don't take me to task
because I've never studied this matter. Recently we
discussed a famous cultivar that has very very varied
growth habit. It seems that regardless of the parent
that any distantly different child would be a cultivar
even if it is a child of a new hosta collected in the
wilds of Japan that no one has ever seen. If I really
don't understand what I'm talking about just ignore me
because I'm not going to begin a study of names or
naming.

>I see this as a good reason to drop the species names
altogether and leave that information in the parentage
descriptions that go with the names.
Any plant that has a species epithet before it other
than 'Elegans' is a single cultivar anyway as a
selected individual of that species.
Because it is not a seed strain or other group of
plants, it is simply an individual cultivar that
should be named separately.
--- Bill Meyer <njhosta@hotmail.com> wrote:

=====
Butch Ragland