Species of hosta

Nice Bill Just take my montana as an example and build your story
on it> It was just the first example that came to my mind. I still
adhere to what I wrote in the article. Not a single counterargument
has been found yet. When I was sending the manuscript to the
scientific journal the referees remarked that I should compare my
results mainly with those of other scientist and not with mr
Schmid. Moreover I like to point out that the japanese scientist
Fujita in 1976 and the korean scientist Chung in 1991 came to the
same number of true species: about 23. We all three used different
but solid data. Only Schmid is at odds here, with his opinion of 44
species. I have solid data to show that half his "species" are
hybrids, including his "new species" H. laevigata. Most scientist
would not have bothered with all those hybrids. Fujita and Chung
ignored them completely. However being also a hobbyist myself I
have for hobbyist-sake included all those so-called species in my
research. Only new data can refute my conclusions.
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Institute of Biology,Leiden University, Clusius lab
Wassenaarse weg 64, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Fax: +31-71-5274999. min temp -10C (15F)