Re: Organic Mix for Hostas?

  • Subject: Re: Organic Mix for Hostas?
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:02:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Bobby Butch says
I'm replying over Bill's answer because he and I agree
and disagree on the soil. The organic matter will
break down as he says and become a highly productive
soil and is a goooooooood thing. Tied up in this
organic matter is plenty of mineral content that will
be broken down by the decomposition into its ionic
state that the plants can use and need.

I strongly reccomend that you add organic matter to
you garden every year. Now the question is how much,
2-4 inches. Take the hosta roots and spread them out
and lay on top of the ground so that you can cover
about 4 inches deep with your organic matter. Then
cover the crowns another 2 inches to protect from
freeze thaw problems.

Pea gravel adds nothing to the process save your

Unless this planting is under very shallow rooted
trees then you can dig 2-4 inches for each hosta then
start the process from that point.