Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?

  • Subject: Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?
  • From: "Bill Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:45:51 -0400

Hi Ray -- Back in 1997, it was?.. I recall, that the late Jim Hawes, had a
striated-leaf ventricosa hosta.  He even gave me a division from it and
seeds to try.  At the time he was calling this hosta ENCORE, but at the AHS
Convention in Ann Arbour, year later, every delegate received a free hosta
called "Encore" (different plant, different source).

Anyway, I did not get a single multicolored leaf-kid from my seedling trials
(nor did Jim Hawes).  The plant division Jim gave me, reverted back to an
all green specimen in the next growing cycle; and this also manifested, with
the plant Mr. Hawes had in his garden.  I've also had this same identical
occurance happen with H. Kinba, which has me thinking; that  perhaps -- the
best move one should make -- is to do leaf-bud division immediately, as soon
as a leaf-variance in type is seen in a hosta?

Just a couple of thoughts, Ray, and I hope this helps.  Who knows *Lady
Luck* may smile upon you, and perhaps, you may see streaked kids resulting.
It's the seed sowing which will tell the final tale, and well worth the
effort, for knowing for sure.. I guess?  :>)

<SUBNOTE> VENTRICOSA, it is written (The Genus Hosta - GIBOSHI ZOKU,
sourcebook?):  produces identical clones of itself from seeds, therefore
hybrids are not possible; due to it's vegetative method of seed production
(APOMIXIC nature?).  Also, it's a true tetraploid (120n chromosomes?) on all
three leaf level layers?  I don't know if these assessments are true or
false, but this leads me into thinking, that you may not see any variegated
seedlings, or even this streaky plant, unless you have the leaf-bud-division
done immediately? *Good Luck*

I AM: HOSTA'ly yours,

raffi@sympatico.ca (Bill Nash\Canada)