Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?

  • Subject: Re: splashed ventricosa, will it produce variegated seedlings?
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:06:35 -0400

Hi Bill, Ray,
I have experimented for years to get variegated seedlings from streaked
versions including 'Gosan Line Up'. Nada! I knew better to begin with, but I
was hoping for Lady Luck as you call it. HV is apomictic and tetraploid
(that has been scientifically established) so can and most of the time (?)
will develop seeds without being fertilized. See my book. HV pollen is very
fertile and can be used very successfully. No one has tested the variegated
forms of HV for apomixis but one can assume that they are. Since the
variegation is a chimera and maternally inherited and HV being an apomict, I
doubt we will ever see variegated seedlings, but it may show up on rare
occasions. Then, it is Lady Luck. Nothing in nature is absolute, except
death perhaps. George
W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL