RE: Fall planting

  • Subject: RE: Fall planting
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT)

The main cause of crown rot is the freeze/thaw cycle
during cold months and I've found the problem to be
greatest in the spring.

Mulch is the answer to the freeze/thaw cycle, water
collects at ground level with daily freeze thaw, then
freezes the crown. The freeze damage to the crown
makes it susceptible to rot. I've mulched as much as 6
inches without any problem. Late emergence in spring
is the biggest advantage of deep mulch. A plant that
comes up early is subject to freezes not just a little
frost. Mulch also holds down heave during freeze/thaw.

I've talked many times about the waste of time and
money creating a $100 hole which is at odds with
current research in soil science.

--- "Pinterics, Michael W (GE Healthcare)"

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail