Re: Fall planting

  • Subject: Re: Fall planting
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:25:55 -0400

I have planted late as described earlier, cutting through frosty soil and then adding drier flowing soil to lock in the root mass.

I actually recall planting some higher up (crowns almost out of the ground, bunched up) in wet soil, then coming back and tamping down in the spring - lots of work but only to heal in until you can replant later. Fortunei and Lemon Lime types are no problem - stay away from plantaginea, tok, seib and slower growers. They take too much finesse as it is. Depends on the amount of organic content and soil moisture holding capabilities/ and air, which the roots also need.

As a practical real-time plan, I want the roots and soil contact to be as mutually beneficial: if they have poor roots, they need better soil and temps. Larger healthy roots can handle the stress better.  Mulch can help, but encourages the other problems noted - one of which is slug overwintering and eggs. Crown rot follows too much moisture hanging around, as drainage slows at lower temps.

bruce