Hybridizing the Small Ones

  • Subject: Hybridizing the Small Ones
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:59:46 -0400

Dear Hosta Brethren:

 Have had two different requests for information about working with dwarf
and mini hostas in resepct to hybridization , raising them from seed, and
keeping them alive. This is for the Q and A Column in THJ. Any expertise/
experience/ advice would be appreciated. Are there any hybridizers that are
famous for their tiny hostas?  I know Solberg has had some lovley ones and
several of our popular hybridizers have one or two in their portfolio of
hostas. I remember that Roy Herold once pointed out a hosta in someone's
garden that he said was a cross between the "largest hosta and the
"smallest"  hosta. Of course I have forgotten what he pointed out. Anyone
know this?   Thanks, glen

Every word was once a poem. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher
(1803-1882)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont