RE: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?

  • Subject: RE: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:19:07 -0400 (EDT)

Before you have a "system" installed, consider some facts.  Foliar
nematodes, in hostas are spread by water.  That includes running water
and splashing water.  They "ride" in the larger droplets and streaming
water.  The problem with heavy watering ( and of course rain) is that
splashing effect is enhanced.  I think watering with a soaker hose
system is proving to be better.  It causes no running and little splash
& gets you max. use of the water supplied.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048 (Zone 6 sometimes)