Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?

  • Subject: Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?
  • From: butch ragland wilddog_202@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:37:16 -0700 (PDT)

MIST

Let me introduce a slightly differ paradigm to
automatic watering. For those who have followed the
experiments with the effect of water on hosta will
remember that the final experiment I conducted was
"mist" which of course waters and creates a cool zone
reducing the temperature around the plant.

A quick review;
One I found that hosta cannot get to much water.
Two when I put hosta under mist they did not suffer
the normal late season burning.

Conclusion: If you were willing to suffer the expense
of automatic watering then I would include a system
that would allow changing the emitters to mist when
the temperatures reach the 80's.

I believe it would require the expertise of companies
who work with greenhouse growers who use mist
extensively. This should not cost any more and the
experiences of those who have had irrigation systems
will attest, these companies only understand watering
golf courses. Not the complicated gardens we enjoy
while greenhouse watering systems require many
different approaches.

Butch Ragland
Jury Verdict Reporter
http://mail.yahoo.com