Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?

  • Subject: Re: watering hosta gardens with irrigation system?
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" lindsey@mallorn.com
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:05:17 -0500

> One I found that hosta cannot get to much water.
> Two when I put hosta under mist they did not suffer
> the normal late season burning.
>
> I believe it would require the expertise of companies
> who work with greenhouse growers who use mist
> extensively. This should not cost any more and the
> experiences of those who have had irrigation systems
> will attest, these companies only understand watering
> golf courses. Not the complicated gardens we enjoy
> while greenhouse watering systems require many
> different approaches.

Hi Butch,

   Can you tell me where you're located at?  I'm in East Central
   Illinois and have considered cooling misters for my hosta tables
   as well.

   I'm concerned that being in such a humid climate (with humidity
   often around 67 to 80%), the evaporative cooling qualities of
   these fine misters won't be effective and will just make everything
   wet.

   I mailed dripworksusa.com a few months ago, but never received a
   response.

   Has anyone in a humid climate represented on this list had
   experiences with superfine mist for plant cooling?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.bonvivantnursery.com/                     Bon Vivant Nursery
http://www.hort.net/gallery/      4023 online plant photos and growing!