Re: lack of slug damage

At 12:59 AM 9/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>BevYou are right.  There is more at work here, than just the amount of
>substance.  While I do believe, that substance plays an important role, I
>have for instance, in my test beds, many relitivly small and "thin
>leaved" Hostas, which the slugs barely touch.

Could the taste have something to do with it?  I bought Cherry Berry this
summer, and was unable to keep my cats from eating it.  Time and again,
they swallowed every leaf; I would move the roots and keep a cage over it
till it regenerated, and eventually went to the extreme of not letting any
of the cats outside.  The last time I took the cage off the plant, I caught
somebody else's cat eating the last leaf. Obviously, this plant will have
to be protected continuously in my cat-intensive neighborhood.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6