Re: Patsy's Plant

At 10:08 AM 9/2/98 EDT, you wrote:
>It is NOT hardy here in Z5 in Mass.

Hi, Barb.  Well, the catalogue said it was hardy down to 0 degrees, which
would be about Zone 7 or 7b.  I have plants outside year-round that are
supposed to be hardy only to Zone 8.  They are all foundation plantings, or
at least within 6' of the house, protected from wind, and heavily mulched
(some with 1' of straw!).  The ground does not freeze within about 3.5' of
my house, even though winter temperatures get as cold as -13F.  So, I
thought I'd try the Trandescantia/Setcreasea as a groundcover in a
foundation border - but I will certainly keep a start indoors, in case the
rest of the plant doesn't live through the winter.

Here are some of the plants that survive outdoors up north here with proper

Phyllostachys nigra (Z8)
Eucomis (Z8)
Gladiols nana(Z8-9)
Fuchsia magellanica hybrids (Z7b)
Passiflora gracillima (Z7b)
Arisaema candidissimum (Z7)
Asplenium scolopendrium (Z7)
Davidia Involucrata (Z7)
Arachnoides simplicior variegata (Z7b)

So wish me luck.  I'll let you know if it makes it or not.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6