Re: Potting hostas for moving

Diane Frederick wrote:
> Drats, drats. Yesterday, I was digging and potting up my hostas for "the
> Big Move" to my new house, and was hard at work on some larger plants.
> Thought I'd never get my Hirao Supreme out, but it finally came loose
> and was fine.
>   On to my nice big Sagae. Dig, dig, ("boy, this thing's tough") WHAM.
> there goes my best digging fork. Broken on a hosta that doesn't want to
> budge!
>   Now, I have to go buy a new fork. At least the hosta came out,
> finally. Got that beauty potted up, watered, and it looks great!
>   Only 25 more cultivars/species to dig (this doesn't include the actual
> # of plants).
>   A hosta-philes work is never done.
> Diane
> Ohio, zone 5.
Since I dig hostas every day, and some of them are in large clumps, I
must have a dependable fork.(my digging tool of choice)  After trying
several , with lots of them resulting in being broken or bent, I finally
went out and spent nearly eighty dollars ( for one!) Spear & Jackson
spading fork.  This tool has paid for itself many times over. I have used
it for three years with no problem.