Re: Potting hostas for moving

I've been reading the EMails regarding the use of digging forks to
fascillitate moving large hosta clumps... Since I am a first year hosta phile
I have no large hostas, but I'm wondering why the fork works better than the
spade shovel I now use..  Does the shovel cut too many roots, and if so, how
does the fork avoid doing that.. I'm thinking that if you don't dig your hole
large enough to miss the roots, you either cut them with the shovel, or you
stretch them till they break  with the fork..

Somebody want to es'plain that to me??

Thanks - Ronnie